Sunset and Cliff Jumping at Spitting Caves

  I am always on the lookout for interesting and off the beaten path spots to watch the sunset here in Oahu. I stumbled upon this spot called 'spitting caves' while searching for a hidden land bridge hike near Hanauma Bay. These cliffs are stratified into pancake layers due to wind and wave erosion. Multi-million dollar mansions line the top of the cliffs but you don't need a million dollars to share the view. A small trail winds down between two of the mansions and deposits you at the top of these very steep cliffs.

 I arrived just before sunset and was surprised to see a crowd of photographers all gathered but facing away from the impending golden sunset. I quickly realized that some guys were performing some pretty awesome cliff jumps down into the mouth of the spitting cave. If you look at the top left picture closely you can see one of the boys mid-flip. When they timed it just right they would land just as the cave was blasting water back out with a thunderous noise.

    I have been scuba diving under these cliffs from a boat before but never found myself around this area for sunset. It turned out to be a very beautiful sunset, with the sun lowering behind the palm tree on the far cliff. I bet if I come back during the winter the sun will set much farther to the left, perhaps over diamond head crater or even the ocean.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Secret Maui Waterfall

Search for Chameleons, Maui

Vermont Summer and Stave Island