Historic Downtown Savannah: A Photographic Walk

Forsyth Park Fountain
  I spent the first 18 years of my life growing up in one of the most
beautiful cities in the world, Savannah, Georgia. Although it took me moving away and traveling all over to realize what a gem Savannah truly is. I only had a short time for a quick visit with family and friends, but I managed to squeeze in a morning of playing tourist in Savannah's historic downtown district. These are some of my favorite pictures from that walk.

Lafayette Square and St. John's Cathedral
  I started with a relaxing cup of coffee at the Sentient Bean overlooking Forsyth Park. Afterwards I meandered into Forsyth Park, admiring all of the huge live oak trees covered in Spanish moss. I made sure to stop at the Forsyth Park fountain to take a few pictures. I tried for a while to wait until no people would be in the picture but finally gave up and took photos anyway. I actually like the photos even more with all the people relaxing on the park benches in no apparent hurry.


The Old Cotton Exchange
 
 Walking up Bull Street took me into the famous squares of downtown Savannah. One of the beautiful aspects of this city is how it was all pre-planned around these squares which serve as little parks, green spaces, and monuments. Old brick houses and historic buildings surround the squares, as do many churches. The view of the twin steeples of St. John's behind an old fountain really sums up this area.


River Street cobblestones
   A little farther and I reached bustling Broughton Street. Savannah College of Art and Design's revamped theaters and new boutique restaurants share an avenue with hole-in-the-wall bars and a wig shop. A few more blocks and the buildings that line the Savannah River come into view.

Riverboat Cruise
   Historically this river was the heart of the city. Ever since James Oglethorpe, ships have been sailing up this river to visit and for commerce. There is still a bustling port filled with huge ships a little farther up the river and if you want to be nostalgic then dinner on a river boat might be the answer. The cobblestone street that lines the river is aptly named Riverstreet, and is the sight of one of the largest St. Patrick's Day celebrations in the nation.

  Luckily today was a bit more low key which made for great photo opportunities. I had to try some salt water taffy from River Street Sweets and was lucky to find shade to stay out of the near hundred degree midday heat.


  The heat didn't seem to bother the horses pulling carriages around. One of the horse carriage tours turned into my favorite scenes of the day. As the carriage pulled up to a red light I noticed a puddle from the recent rain was sending a perfect reflection of the buildings across the street. I snapped a couple of pictures before the light turned green and the carriage tour was off. And with that my time in my wonderful hometown had dwindled down so I was off as well.


To Find Dai Mar's Pictures For Sale of Savannah click here: www.daimarsphotos.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Secret Maui Waterfall

Search for Chameleons, Maui

Vermont Summer and Stave Island