Twin Falls and the Cave Beyond, Maui, Hawaii

 IMG_4769.jpeg

A magical world of fern and moss in the cave behind Twin Falls on the road to Hana in Maui.

One of my favorite waterfalls on Maui is called Twin Falls. It is at the very beginning of the famous Road to Hana, and has pretty easy parking. The trail to the falls is lined with rainforest plants like wild ginger, bromeliads, and heliconia. It only takes about 20 minutes to get to the amazing falls at the end. The waterfall has a gentle pool that is great to swim in and cool off. But the real reason I love this waterfall is the fact that you can access a cave behind the falls.

I think as a kid, I watched so many adventure movies where the characters walk through a waterfall and find a secret cave behind, that grew up always wanting to do the same. This is the closest I've ever come. The cave behind the falls is pretty wide, and provides some opportunities for stunning photographs. I got here pretty early, after a sunrise dawn patrol surf session at Hookipa, so the lighting was pretty magical. I had to wait until a few couples cleared out from behind the cave before making my way back there.

This is one of the spots where I always have to take visitors. However, the back cave hasn't been accessible since before Covid. I'm so glad they opened it back up. Check out some of photos of the adventure below!

IMG_4780.jpeg
The hike to get to the falls is filled with beautiful flowers like this.

IMG_4781.jpeg
You've got options according to this sign post. I'm headed to the upper trail.

IMG_4775.jpeg
A glimpse at twin falls and the cave beyond with the sweet smelling cream ginger in the foreground. I love that you can do these long exposure photos so easily on an iPhone.

IMG_4772.jpeg
Twin Falls

IMG_4766.jpeg
Early morning shot of the waterfall, pool, and cave beyond.

IMG_4756.jpeg
I havn't been able to make it to these falls since before Covid. Its good to be back.

IMG_4767.jpeg
Even early morning there is a constant influx of tourists. This is usually the first stop on the road to Hana tour. It is a pretty easy hike and the payoff at the end is totally worth a small parking fee. Although if you have a local ID like me, you get to park for free!

IMG_4743.jpeg
I stopped quite a bit on the trail to take photos of the beautiful plants, like this bromeliade.

IMG_4779.jpeg
Take heed all you non-experienced hikers. In reality this is one of the easiest hikes to a waterfall in Maui. You do have to get your feet wet though.

IMG_4742.jpeg
They have really upped their signage game since last I was here.

IMG_4759.jpeg
View of the pool and cave beyond. There is a dry path to my right that will take you behind the waterfall.

IMG_4753.jpeg
My first view of the falls ahead. At this point you have to walk a little bit through the stream to get there. A perfect hike for the new locals slippers.

IMG_4747.jpeg
Cream ginger and heliconia, both beautiful and probably highly invasive.

IMG_4768.jpeg
I wonder if everyone grows up wanting to go behind waterfalls or if its just me.

IMG_4741.jpeg
The bamboo here sure is impressive. Although this is another highly invasive plant on Maui.

IMG_4778.jpeg
Sign of an old acqueduct, bringing a constant flow of water down to the farms.

IMG_4750.jpeg
The trail itself is well worn, a bit muddy, but definitely feels like you've entered the rainforest. It is a very different feel than dry Kihei-side.

IMG_4748.jpeg
I saw some hikers get to this point, look at their fancy shoes, and turn around. Too bad. If only they knew what was waiting for them up ahead.

IMG_4771.jpeg
Panorama, looking out from the cave behind the waterfall at Twin Falls, Maui.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Secret Maui Waterfall

Search for Chameleons, Maui

Hidden Ulupalakua Lava Tube, Maui