Sunset Shipwreck in Maui

 IMG_4717.jpeg

I am on a very quick trip to Maui, Hawaii and I was eager to test out my new drone at some of my favorite photography spots. The closest beach to my condo is Sugar Beach, in North Kihei. It is a very long sandy beach, popular with locals. Imagine my surprise when I walk down to find a big shipwreck, cast ashore on the sand. The waves were hitting it and splashing up, but otherwise the wreck looked like it was in relatively good shape. I feel bad for the owner, but I wasn't going to pass the opportunity for a quick photo shoot.

dji_fly_20240906_070956_137_1725642658308_photo_optimized.jpeg
Morning at the wreck. It isn't the best lighting during sunrise here which is when I took this photo with my DJ Mini 4K drone. I planned to come back for sunset later.

IMG_4729.jpeg
On my way to the wreck I had to stop and take a long exposure at this rocky outcropping. The beach is mostly sandy, so these rocks provided a very nice foreground subject while the sky looked afire in the background.

IMG_4719.jpeg
A bit of a south swell was rocking the shoreline and crashing against the hull of the wreck.

IMG_4724.jpeg
I was trying to get the reflection of the sunset in the wet sand when the waves would pull back.

dji_fly_20240906_071926_148_1725643308622_photo_optimized.jpeg
Another drone shot in the morning. It was a bit too windy to fly the drone during the sunset photo session.

IMG_4710.jpeg
Beach walkers all stopped to take in the unusual sight.

IMG_4720.jpeg
To get this angle and the sunset together I had to make a panorama. Maui is a wonderful place for a photographer. I can't wait to see what tomorrow brings.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Secret Maui Waterfall

Search for Chameleons, Maui

Hidden Ulupalakua Lava Tube, Maui