Beautiful Kayak around the Vixen Islands, Alaska

 IMG_2600.JPG

Stellar conditions for this morning's kayak at Emmons Island, near Sitka, Alaska.

"Is this Hawaii", I thought to myself as I paddled in the beautiful sunshine and crystal clear waters around Emmons Island. I had to remind myself that I was actually in Alaska's Inside Passage, in a very special place. Instead of Hawaii's coral and sea turtles under our kayaks, it was sea stars, anemones, and sea cucumbers. The misty mountains in the background were another reminder that I wasn't in Hawaii anymore.

friday afternoon (3 of 9).jpg
Harbor seals watched us from a safe distance as we paddled.

The weather was perfect for a paddle this morning. There was no wind in sight, and the water was flat calm and crystal clear. The misty mountains and our expedition ship reflected in the smooth water like a mirror. My plan was to circumnavigate the Vixen Islands. As we started out I noticed a few harbor seals cautiously watching our progress.

IMG_2607.JPG
The ocean was like a mirror, without a drop of wind.

IMG_2588.JPG
I couldn't help but stop for pictures on this beautiful morning.

IMG_2593.JPG
Shooting the anchor chain on our way to circumnavigate the Vixen Islands.

IMG_2587.JPG
Windless conditions make for great reflections in the waters of the Inside Passage

friday morning (3 of 8).jpg
A black oystercatcher doing its best flamingo impersonation.

IMG_2597.JPG
One of the guest showing off a bat star than I scooped off the shallow rocky bottom.

One of the reasons I chose to come here today was to take advantage of the extreme low tide. The -4ft tide exposed all kinds of intertidal life. I scooped up sea stars, cucumbers, urchins, hermit crabs, and more for the guests to have a hands-on experience. Shore birds like black oystercatchers and black turnstones checked the shoreline for food, while keeping a sharp eye on us.

IMG_2612.JPG
I was slightly worried about the giant claw on this hermit crab. In the end I got the photo and didn't get pinched.

IMG_2604.JPG
Clam shells litter the sea floor exposed by the -4ft low tide.

Kayaking in Alaska is always such a pleasure. It is quite often calm conditions and beautiful surroundings. Today was even more beautiful than most.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Secret Maui Waterfall

Search for Chameleons, Maui

Vermont Summer and Stave Island