Alaska with the Family Day 6: Glacier Bay and Margerie Glacier

 

IMG_0583.JPG

Today we entered into familiar territory for me. We woke up this morning to the cool breeze created by a massive tidewater glacier called Margerie glacier. Glacier Bay National Park itself it massive, at 3.2 million acres. Numerous glaciers tumble out of the 15,000ft mountain range which make the park. As these glaciers recede, more and more water is left in the fjords for us to explore by ship. This is how most people visit this park, but we are a little different. We wanted to make it off the ship for some kayaking adventuring to get closer to the action.

Even though I have been in this park many times, leading tours just like this, I had never done activities at this glacier. And I've definitely never done this with my family! So I was pretty excited. I jumped in the back of a tandem kayak and my wife and son sat in the front. We kayaked along incredible steep walls, with waterfalls coming off, and nesting sea birds calling to each other as we passed. As we got closer to the glacier we started having to dodge floating ice.

453-IMG_9326.jpg
Fisher, Heidi, and me kayaking in the ice at Margerie Glacier


   Having some experience kayaking in ice fields, I made sure our group charged right in. We made sure to avoid the really big pieces of ice, for fear that they might flip over on us. It was like nature's ice sculpture garden. We eventually paddled in front of Margerie Glacier and just sat there, listening to the creaks and groans and thunderous roars of the glacier.

Dillon Charter AK Day 5 (12 of 22).jpg

Dillon Charter AK Day 5 (17 of 22).jpg

Dillon Charter AK Day 5 (10 of 22).jpg

IMG_0605.JPG

IMG_0579.JPG

IMG_0575.JPG
Glacier viewing with the kids, early in the morning
IMG_0566.JPG
Just in case we missed it, Susie pointing out Margerie Glacier
IMG_0635.JPG
Close enough for an iPhone photo

IMG_0587.JPG

IMG_0598.JPG

IMG_0623.JPG
I took our group deep in the ice. We were having to push floating ice out of our way with the nose of the kayak
Dillon Charter AK Day 5 (18 of 22).jpg
A sleepy bear finally picked its head up enough for this photo


I still can't believe that I get to share this adventure with the family.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Secret Maui Waterfall

Search for Chameleons, Maui

Vermont Summer and Stave Island