Stopover in Guayaquil, Ecuador on my way to the Galapagos Islands

 IMG_9046.JPG

Iguana posing in front of a fountain on the river walk.

Guayaquil is known to most travelers as the 'jumping off point for trips to the Galapagos Islands.' This is the reason that I came here. I had a night at the Wyndham Santa Ana before catching my flight to the Galapagos Islands to board my expedition cruise ship, La Pinta.

However, I knew that Guayaquil probably had its own charms and sights which I didn't want to miss. So after getting settled I took to the streets to get a better feel for the city.

I started on the famous Malecon, or riverfront walk of Guayaquil. It is a bit touristy, with lots of seafood restaurants and coffee shops. The river is huge, and filled with sediment. There was a bit of trash in it and I did see one dead cow floating by, so not too inviting. But it is nice not to be surrounded by buildings on all sides.

At the end of the Malecon, the city started to really gain some character. The road became narrow and paved with cobblestones. The buildings were painted in bright colors and went right up the side of the hill. I could immediately tell I had entered a much older, more authentic part of the Guayaquil. I absolutely loved the buildings and winding roads, and continued up the stairs as high as I could.

I had been warned by a few people about safety while in the city. I never felt threated, but it was weird to have police every few hundred yards, keeping an eye on things. It made me feel safe, and not safe at the same time.

Hills covered in colorful houses, giant monkey statues, and delicious local food all made my time in Guayaquil worth it. While I was very excited for the next flight to the islands, I'm glad I didn't let this opportunity for exploration go to waste.

IMG_9082.JPG
I'm in Ecuador!

IMG_9079.JPG
The sprawling city of Guayaquil, Ecuador

IMG_9061.JPG
The rooftop pool of the Santa Ana Wyndham Hotel

IMG_9055.JPG
Ferris Wheel at the end of the Malecon

IMG_9043.JPG

IMG_9051.JPG

IMG_9054.JPG

IMG_9049.JPG
The winding alleyways of the old town, Guayaquil

IMG_9050.JPG

IMG_9057.JPG
These colorful houses along the cobblestone streets were one of my favorite parts of the city

IMG_9068.JPG
The malecon at night

IMG_9071.JPG

IMG_9067.JPG

IMG_9042.JPG

IMG_9053.JPG

IMG_9052.JPG

What a cool place. Its not just a jumping off spot anymore. Maybe take a few extra days to soak it all up. But, Galapagos.... here I come!

-Dai Mar

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Secret Maui Waterfall

Search for Chameleons, Maui

Vermont Summer and Stave Island