What to do in Hawaii when you are stuck on East Coast time

 IMG_5637.JPG

One benefit of being stuck on east coast time after flying to Hawaii, is that you will definitely be up for the golden hour around sunrise time. I actually got up around 2:30am this morning to a beautiful clear sky, full moon, and so many stars. I thought I would be productive and go for a long photo walk. This island of Molokai is usually very quiet, but it was incredibly quiet early in the morning.
I started my walk at the only hotel on the entire island, The Hotel Molokai. It is a very cozy place, right next to the water, with hammocks swinging from palm trees. Wild chickens provide the only other noise in the mornings, but live music is often on the menu for the evenings.

The sun rises behind Maui from this vantage point. Once the sky started to glow I knew it would be a great opportunity for some early morning pictures. The palm trees, pool, and hammocks all provided interesting subjects. I also had to throw in some color reflecting off the smooth ocean. A 28 mile barrier reef protects this side of the island, creating a calm inner bay, great for reflections.

IMG_5638.JPG
I thought some early morning Molokai sweet bread from the Kanamitsu Bakery should be in order, so I walked the three miles into town. Kaunakakai is the main town on Molokai, but it is still small enough to not need a stoplight. The buildings are all old style and situated along one main road. I scored some sweet bread, a taro doughnut, and a spam musubi, to power me up for the walk back to the hotel.

IMG_5631.JPG

IMG_5635.JPG
I had to get a shot of my favorite palm tree, angling out over the water.

IMG_5636.JPG
Golden hour indeed.


All of this was a very welcome respite after flying over the hustle and bustle of Oahu and Waikiki. It was fun getting a beautiful overview of my old surf spots from the scenic puddle jumper.

IMG_5623.JPG

IMG_5625.JPG
Looking down at Ala Moana area and the famous Waikiki Beach.

IMG_5626.JPG
Looking down into Diamond Head crater at the end of Waikiki.

IMG_5629.JPG
Admiring the surf and the beautiful colors of the ocean here in Hawaii. Not a bad place to create some photo inspiration.

-Dai Mar Tamarack

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Secret Maui Waterfall

Search for Chameleons, Maui

Vermont Summer and Stave Island