Snowboarding in Vemont

  2021 started off pretty busy for us in our newly eganged household. We were in Stowe, VT with Catalina (about to turn 3) and Fisher (about to turn 1 1/2). Heidi had just gone through hip surgery so she was in serious rehab, using crutches to get around. Fisher still crawled in bed to nurse with her and Catalina would crawl in bed to read. Otherwise the kids were with me. The snow was very fun for them at first but soon became too deep for them to move. Their little patagonia snow suits kept them warm for strolls, but even the stroller had to be switched out for a sled. 

     With all of this going on I figured I wouldn't get to use my Bash Badge pass for snowboarding at Smugglers Notch, but as Heidi got her mobility back and lost the crutches, and with the help of her parents watching the kids, I was actually able to get 8 days in on the slopes. A few days were almost emtpy and I experienced all kinds of conditions, from fresh powder to nicely groomed. I think the most I ever waited in line for a lift was 12 minutes. A few days were in the single digits, but most were in the 20's. 

    It would have been a lot more fun to have Heidi with me, as the lift rides were beautiful but kind of lonely all by myself. My 25 year old K2 snowboard held up and performed admirably as always. And apart from a silly fall and a pulled chest muscle I avoided any major injuries. The mountains were absolutely beautiful and very peaceful. I would usually score a couple of hours while the kids napped which was only possible because the slopes were a quick 5 minute drive away. 

   I did try to get Catalina and Fisher on little baby skis a few times. They didn't take to them yet, but at least the were exposed. We'll see how next winter goes for the two. I'm loving being in my tshirt and board shorts out here in Hawaii as I write this, but I do look forward to some more snow time in Vermont in the future. 











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Secret Maui Waterfall

Search for Chameleons, Maui

Vermont Summer and Stave Island