Bears at the Waterfall

Like a painting
  I've been watching this family of bears for a couple years now. The cubs are just about that age where they are ready to move on from their mother's side. They are rambunctious and even a little bratty towards other bears. I saw more than once the mom swat at them after she caught a salmon and they charged in to share the spoils. Tough love I guess.

Climbing the old salmon ladder
Mom and cubs
   This latest encounter was at the waterfall on Pavlof stream, on Chichagof Island. Being one of the ABC islands, Chichagof has a dense population of brown bears. This time of year they all congregate around salmon streams to feast on the returning fish. They need all the calories they can get to make it through their winter dormancy.

Eyes on me
   It is always amazing to be out in the wild, with no one else around, witnessing a wildlife spectacle. Running tours on a boat in Southeast Alaska allows me the flexibility to do things like this. This encounter came from a spontaneous after dinner skiff tour that turned into a half hour bear watching extravaganza. Someone once told me, 'if you do what you love for long enough someone will eventually start to pay you for it.'  Now I try to pass that advice along.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Secret Maui Waterfall

Search for Chameleons, Maui

Vermont Summer and Stave Island