Maui Wildlife: Humpbacks and Honeycreepers

Breaching Humpback Whale
  If you are a wildlife lover and think Hawaii has not much to offer then think again. On a recent trip to Maui I was able to see some of the biggest wildlife and some of the smallest in the same day. Right now the oceans are thick with humpback whales mating and having babies. I saw quite a few in between Lana'i and Maui on my flight in from Honolulu. And I couldn't wait to get up close on one of the whale watching boats with my friends at Pacific Whale Foundation.

Mom and Baby
  The whales did not disappoint. On a two hour whale watch I saw breaches, tail slaps, peduncle throws, pec slaps, fluke up dives, and brand new babies. I still think that Maui has got to be one of the best places in the world for whale watching during the months of February and March.

I'iwi (Honeycreeper) out in the open
I'iwi bird feeding
 
Seeing 40 ton animals launching out of the water is pretty amazing, but my other goal while on Maui was to find the tiny I'iwi bird. It is a rare, endemic honeycreeper that lives high on the slopes of Haleakala. It can be a bit of a treasure hunt but a good place to start is the nature trail at Hossmer's Grove. Located just inside Haleakala National Park, the trail leads past a ravine where bright red and green birds flutter from tree to tree. Most of these birds can only be found here in Hawaii.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Secret Maui Waterfall

Search for Chameleons, Maui

Vermont Summer and Stave Island