Spinner Dolphin Watching, Lanai

  Today we were showing around our newest member of the research team, Manue, and she really wanted to see spinner dolphins. I had heard of a sighting earlier in the day off the coast of Lanai so as we came back from our deep offshore transects and a few pilot whale encounters I hugged the coast. Sometimes it happens where the dolphins find you first and this is
how it went today. I was watching the waves trying to keep the ride relatively smooth when all of a sudden we were surrounded by about 300 spinner dolphins. It looked like they were having so much fun in the waves. Surfing down swell and then circling back around to do it all over again. It was hard to know where to look or where to take a picture. I watched them for about 20 minutes before even picking up my camera, just soaking in the experience.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Secret Maui Waterfall

Search for Chameleons, Maui

Vermont Summer and Stave Island