Back Surfing Honolua Bay with Ben

  Whenever I am in Maui I have to check and see if my favorite wave is breaking. Way up on the Northwest side of the island, about twenty minutes past Lahaina, an idyllic bay sits in the perfect position to wrap big northwest swells around its point, creating a perfect peeling right known as Honolua Bay.

Always better with friends
    A 'right' as surfers know it means that because of the direction the waves breaks over the reef, when you pop up on your board you travel to your right down the wave. I prefer 'lefts' since I surf goofy-footed, or right foot forward, and going left leaves me facing the wave. But I can't pass up a right as perfect as Honolua. I will often pig dog the wave, which means to reach down and grab the rail of the surfboard like I'm doing in the picture above.

   It can be a mission just getting up to Honolua, so it's always better to do it with friends. This time my good friend Ben was also surfing. He is a goofy-foot as well although his style is slightly different than mine as you can see below. Once you surf with people long enough you can barely see them way out on the waves and know exactly who it is by their style. Everyone is a little different.

  Honolua can be amazing to surf in four foot waves or fourteen foot waves. In the right conditions the wave can barrel which is what surfers are always searching for. I'll never tell if I made it out of this barrel below...

Pig-dogging at Honolua Bay on a 6ft single fin




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Secret Maui Waterfall

Search for Chameleons, Maui

Vermont Summer and Stave Island