Fishing for Red Fish off the Coast of Savannah

Me with a bull redfish (Sciaenops ocellatus)
   Fall is a wonderful time to be in Savannah. The weather is finally starting to cool but tshirts and shorts are still the order of the day. The water still feels great and the boat or beach is definitely still an option. My dad and I spent the day fishing for redfish (red drum), which I had never tried before. Imagine my surprise when we anchored the boat right behind crashing waves, in about eight feet of water, and tossed our lines in. I may have been even more surprised when a big red fish actually hit our bait. It put up a solid fight, running with the line multiple times. We were able to gently net it, and bring it up for a quick picture before releasing it back. One of my favorite parts of fishing is just seeing these beautiful fish up close. I grew up around these waters but because of the lack of visibility and snorkel conditions, I never had a way to see these fish in the wild.


  After trying at that wavy spot for a bit longer we pulled back into the marsh system and found trout, yellowtails, small reds and more. It was a beautiful day out in the boat and on the water.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Secret Maui Waterfall

Search for Chameleons, Maui

Vermont Summer and Stave Island