3 Day Hana Trip: Day 3

Outrigger Canoes at Hana Bay
Waterfall seen from the car
The last day in Hana is always bittersweet. You are leaving behind the peace and tranquility of this lush hidden corner of Maui but you have some incredible sites to take in on the drive, especially if you complete the loop and go back a different way than you came. We headed towards the Kipahulu and Kaupo areas on the less frequented East side of Haleakala Volcano. We saw waterfalls from the car and made our first stop at Seven Sacred Pools. This is where we hiked the day before but we saved the pools for this morning so Deedee could see them.

Deedee, Susie, Heidi, and me with a huge Banyan Tree
Seven Sacred Pools
It is a pretty easy loop trail to the pools with a big banyan tree along it. The pools have been closed due to flash flooding the past few times I've been here so I was pleased to see they were nice and calm today. I could really get in and around them for some good picture opportunities.

One of my favorite views on the island
As we continued on towards the usually dry, arid east coast I was amazed to see fields of green contrasting the blue ocean and black lava flows. The recent Kona winds from the south had brought in much needed rain to this part of the island and turned it lush and green.
I've never seen the East side so green!
Flash flooding over time causes huge canyons

I had never seen it this beautiful before. We even drove by fields filled with wildflowers. It would have been amazing to see water rushing down the huge canyons but then I remember we have to cross those dry streambeds in the car! Luckily Heidi drove from this point and I could just sit back and take in all the views.
Recent Kona storms brought rain to the usually dry side of Haleakala

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Secret Maui Waterfall

Search for Chameleons, Maui

Vermont Summer and Stave Island