Glacier Sightseeing by Float Plane in Alaska

Me and Dirk ready for adventure
  There are only two real ways to get around Southeast Alaska; a boat or a float plane. Boats here range in size from tiny fishing charters to jet boats screaming up shallow inlets to some of the most massive cruise ships on Earth. But float planes on the other hand are pretty much all tiny and not for the faint of heart. Due to a last minute guest cancellation, my buddy Dirk and I were able to score a ride in one of the smallest float planes that offers scenic tours.

Huge Icebergs below
  The tight quarters inside our amphibious ride could hand a pilot and passenger up front, with 2 more passengers in the back. The company is Pacific Wings and their pilots provide great commentary along the way. I found the windows were much better to photography out of since they weren't as curved and reflection filled as scenic helicopters I've been in. We were all excited to have a beautiful, clear day for this impromptu adventure. I made sure to have my camera in hand, my trusty Canon 5d mark ii with a 17-40 zoom lens ready for adventure.

  We started out by following the winding and shallow looking Stikine River. The entire system was huge, with animal tracks crisscrossing the green embankments on either side of the muddy river. We passed over aqua-marine colored glacial streams entering the main river as well as some secretive hot springs that would take some serious jet boating to get up to.  You can add that to my list of future adventures.

  Then we started following one of the glacial tributaries past huge icebergs trapped in a lake to the face of the glacier itself. That is when we started gaining altitude, flying high up among the jagged peaks and monolithic mountain tops. We were staring out at the birthing place of these massive glaciers.

LeConte Glacier slowly flowing down the mountain

LeConte Glacier
  It was a sight to behold and one I am so glad I had my camera for. The frozen landscapes are almost too massive and unearthly to comprehend. Even now, looking back at the photos, it is so amazing to see what nature can turn a snowflake into. We followed LeConte Glacier down to its terminus, just in time to see a massive calving into the fjord. After four years leading tours in Southeast Alaska it was my first time finally seeing the face of the elusive LeConte Glacier. It was the experience of a lifetime and one that I won't soon forget.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Secret Maui Waterfall

Search for Chameleons, Maui

Vermont Summer and Stave Island