Blacktip Reef Sharks on Maui

 
Checking to see if the last time was just a fluke, Heidi and I set out to find the elusive blacktip reef sharks of Maui again. We scoured the same part of the reef where we saw them last time and came up empty. The tide was extremely low and it was late morning so we thought maybe the timing was just off. However we kept at the search and a ways down the reef Heidi called out she caught a glimpse of one. Another showed up just after. Last time we found out that sitting in one spot and waiting for the quick moving sharks to come back is the best way to see them. If you chase after them they will keep away. That theory worked out well today and I had a very close encounter with one of the sharks. Out of the murk I saw it swimming steadily right at me. It turned about 8ft away from me and I snapped this profile shot at the top of the page. It is funny to think that these sharks are hanging out a few hundred meters away from a popular snorkeling spot, yet they are hardly ever seen. I have seen an oceanic blacktip shark from the cage on Oahu, but these smaller cousins stay very near to shore. It was very exciting to see something different than a whitetip reef shark. These sharks have been known to bite people as they wade in the shallows thinking that toes may be fish. Experts say if that happens to lay down and show the sharks just how big you are.
Anytime I can swim with a shark it is a magical experience. I hope to have many more shark encounters as I move slightly North to the island of Oahu in a few short months. But in the meantime there always seems to be more to discover here on Maui!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Secret Maui Waterfall

Search for Chameleons, Maui

Vermont Summer and Stave Island