Carthaginian Wreck Dive by Kayak From Shore

The ghostly visage of the tallship Carthaginian
Heidi, Mary and I planned an adventure almost too big for one car, to kayak out from the shore with all of our scuba and camera gear and dive the wreck of the Carthaginian. The Carthaginian is an old tall ship that I've written about a couple of times on this blog. Feel free to search for the other post/dives done here using the search feature on the website. Located about 90ft down on a sandy bottom this ship is mostly visited by tourists remaining dry aboard the local submarine which zooms around the wreck and nearby waters. I expected to see the sub at some point on this dive and it showed up out of the blue right when we descended to deck level on the wreck.
 
  While the submarine is quite loud with its electronic propellers it still took Heidi a while to figure out it was right behind her. She was much too determined to find the elusive frogfish rumored to be hiding out on the wreck to look for a huge underwater ship coming at her. She did finally see it to which I chuckled into my regulator. However her determination paid off as she found some of the most beautiful frogfish I have ever seen. Take a look at the coloration these Commerson Frogfish have adopted.

All in all it was a spectacular dive. Yellow noumea nudibranchs were also found on the wreck near their bright yellow egg ribbons. Lots and lots of fish and even a little late season whale song also made the time fly by. Pretty soon it was time to start ascending since it is a rather deep dive. I captured a few pictures of the full side view of the wreck with my 10mm super wide angle camera before it was lost again into the deep blue.

Comments

  1. I'm really into wreck diving. I want to give it a try. Hopefully I can have the chance.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Leaving a comment is a great way to provide feedback, ask further questions, and inspire more answers...so go for it.

Popular posts from this blog

Secret Maui Waterfall

Search for Chameleons, Maui

Vermont Summer and Stave Island