Spinner Dolphins in La Perouse Bay

 I always try to find fun adventures for visiting friends out here in Maui. The island gives you lots to choose from. So when we awoke early to find heavy winds blowing out our kayaking plans we grabbed hiking gear and snorkel gear and headed towards La Perouse in South Maui. Sometimes on the wild side trip we come across resting spinner dolphins in La Perouse Bay and today we were in luck. We spotted the dolphins zigzagging back and forth across the bay. The winds were up but so were our adventurous spirits. So we jumped in and swam through zero visibility water to get out to where the dolphins were last spotted. The farther offshore we swam the better the visibility but the winds were kicking up more and we hadn't spotted the dolphins in a while. The wind swell sending waves into the bay made spotting even more difficult.
 I was starting to lose hope when I heard a slapping on the surface. I looked all around and saw a couple of dolphins splashing on the far side of the bay. It was great to see they were still in the area. We kept an eye on them until the swam back out way. Then all of sudden there were other snorkelers with us. I wasn't all about chasing down the dolphins while they rested so I studied there swimming behavior and swam to where I thought they would turn and swim back to. I got very lucky a few times with the dolphins totally surrounding me. They are so beautiful and graceful. I hope that my pictures capture even a little of that.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Secret Maui Waterfall

Search for Chameleons, Maui

Vermont Summer and Stave Island