Kayak to Molokini

 
Today was a throwback to the E.M.A.C. (Early Morning Adventure Club) of Catalina. My goal, to paddle out to Molokini from Maui, then circumnavigate Molokini by snorkeling, before paddling back to Maui. I would not suggest this to visitors coming out to Maui for vacation. The current in the channel can be treacherous and the weather unpredictable. I travel this area by boat all the time and can judge the weather fairly well. Today was supposed to be a very calm day, although the wind did kick up more than I expected. 

You can check out the video of this adventure at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cahcb7yYbdY 



I made it out to Molokini in a little over an hour after stopping to see a few turtles along the way. After paddling across the open side of the crater I dropped in the water at Reef's End and snorkeled all the way to Enenue, the other tip of the crater along the back wall. It is always amazing to see the sheer vertical wall dropping over 300ft into the blue abyss along the backside of Molokini. 

    Fighting some rough current and windier and windier conditions on the way back I safely arrive back at Makena Landing around noon, 4 hours after I left. This has been an adventure I've been wanting to do for a long time. It always feels good to start your day by checking a big one off your list. Although I definitely see myself doing this trip again in the future...maybe by stand up paddle board...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Secret Maui Waterfall

Search for Chameleons, Maui

Vermont Summer and Stave Island