Last Swell of the Season at Honolua Bay

  Whenever there is a big swell at Honolua I get a bit nervous. There can be some very big waves there, and some very good surfers. This time was no different. The surf forecast was calling for 5-7ft waves, which could be well overhead at a place like Honolua Bay. The nerves usually give way to excitement, or stoke, as us surfers like to say. This is especially true after I catch my first wave.

  It has been a while since I have had the chance to surf 'the bay'. I wrote about one of my last surf sessions here on this blog which you can check out thru this link: Surfing Honolua with Ben. This time the waves were bigger, but it was still early swell and long periods...which meant long waits. Add about a hundred or so people there to surf and I wasn't sure if I would get any waves. Luckily I snagged a few fun ones before having to leave.

Honolua perfection
  I wasn't sure how the crowd would be since there are almost no tourist on the island now thanks to a mandatory 14 isolation for anyone flying into the state. However, almost everyone who lives here is out of work, and it turns out they all came out to surf. I guess I wasn't the only one keeping an eye on the swell. All in all, Honolua remains one of my favorite places in the world to surf. The backdrop is stunning, the walk down through the forest cliff is amazing, and the waves have perfect form. The only thing that could be better is if it was a left handed break instead of a right.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Secret Maui Waterfall

Search for Chameleons, Maui

Vermont Summer and Stave Island