Incredible Bubble Net Feeding Humpbacks

Whale Pics at www.daimarsphotos.com
  I had seen bubble net feeding humpback whales before, but never like this. I was leading a skiff tour in one of our small 12 person zodiacs when I spotted multiple whale blows out in the distance. I had planned on staying near the Sitkoh bay, where the Safari Quest was anchored, but the possibility of seeing whales from almost water-level was too much of a draw. I checked in with the guests who non surprisingly all wanted to go out for a closer look. Luckily it was a rare flat calm day in Chatham Strait so out we went.

This shot and more for sale here.
  I knew we were getting close, but I didn't know how close until I saw the ring of bubbles. We stopped the boat just in time to witness half a dozen whales burst through the surface of the water with mouths wide open. We found ourselves looking up at the whales as they towered above the skiff. They were still about 200 yards away but it felt like we were right next to them.

  We stayed with the whales watching them feed over and over again until the Safari Quest finally brought everyone else out to us, dropped them in the other small boat and then we all watched through lunchtime, pushing the meal back by an hour.


Check out other post covering bubble net feeding whales


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Secret Maui Waterfall

Search for Chameleons, Maui

Vermont Summer and Stave Island