Maui's Nudibranch Heaven

Imperial Nudibranch

Nudibranchs, colorful sea slugs, can be found around all the Hawaiian islands. But for me it seems that Maui has the best nudi dive spot. Our first night back Heidi and I grabbed some tanks and descended the shallow depths of our favorite nudi haunt, very fitting since it was Halloween. And we were not disappointed, finding 16 different nudibranch species, tons of flatworms, a couple of octopus, and some other beautiful macro sea life.
Gloomy Nudibranch
Jebb's Flatworm
 The waters were clear and calm which is great for photos. The biggest hurdle for my macro photography this dive was the mass of plankton that would swarm around my light. I had to be quick on the trigger or else a cloud of plankton would actually block out the light from my strobe. The cloud would become so thick that I could feel them in my ears and getting into my mouthpiece.

Trembling Nudibranch

 It may have been like a scene out of fear factor but it was all worth it. We found some rare nudibranchs, and some old favorites.
Decorated Nudibranch


Urchin Shrimp
Day Octopus


Marbled Shrimp
Translucent Shrimp


Comments

Post a Comment

Leaving a comment is a great way to provide feedback, ask further questions, and inspire more answers...so go for it.

Popular posts from this blog

Secret Maui Waterfall

Search for Chameleons, Maui

Vermont Summer and Stave Island