Looking Ahead to Alaska


   I find myself once again in Seattle at Fishermen's Terminal, on the verge of cruising up to Alaska's famous Inside Passage for a summer aboard one of the UnCruise boats. I can't help but look back through some of my old pictures and remember all of the amazing encounters and experiences I've had these past two years as an expedition leader. And I can't help but imagine what lies in store for this summer.

  I've witnessed massive calving events at different tidewater glaciers. I've seen the salmon run so thick that I could literally reach in and grab one with my bare hand. I've seen hungry mama bears teach their cubs how to catch fish. I've seen eagles spar in mid-air and puffins get a running start as they take off from the water. I have walked inside a cave made completely out of ice under a glacier. I've been woken up in the middle of the night to experience the incredible lights of the Aurora Borealis. And I've been surrounded by interesting guests and a stellar crew through it all.
 
Aurora Borealis
  I don't know what this season will bring, but I am definitely looking forward to it. I'll spend a lot more time off the boat, leading expeditions instead of managing a group of guides like the last two years. Now that I work on the fleet's smallest boat it is just me, and 22 passengers. I guess this is what they mean when they say, 'the buck stops here.' I have to learn and know it all. But I always say that if you are getting paid to learn then it is a worthwhile endeavor.

   I have only been away from the humpback whales for a couple of months but already I miss their antics. I was lucky enough to work in the waters around the Hawaiian Islands all winter where the humpbacks play and now I will follow them north, where I hear that they are already up feeding. We are going to make a special stop at a world class bear viewing spot called Pack Creek on our way north to try and spy some of Admiralty Islands well known brown bear population. And I expect we will see a few bald eagles on our way.

Brown Bear on the Hunt
Humpback just in front of my kayak
  It is a real treat to share this expansive wilderness with like minded people. In fact, its about time for me to go meet the next group of guests that are accompanying the Safari Quest for the next 12 days as we cruise through the Inside Passage ending in Juneau.

-Hoping for flat calm seas and cool evening breezes.





   To buy these pictures and more of Alaska check out my photo site here; http://www.daimarsphotos.com/AlaskaPhotos





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Secret Maui Waterfall

Search for Chameleons, Maui

Vermont Summer and Stave Island