Digby, Nova Scotia, Canada

High tides at Bay of Fundy
Reminds me of this
  I do love to explore new places so when the opportunity came up to travel 4,400 miles from Juneau, Alaska to Nova Scotia, Canada to hang out with my world traveling mom for a few days I couldn't resist. I had heard stories of Nova Scotia from my good friend Stalker, but never imagined that is would be this beautiful. It seems like there are picture opportunities around every corner. Plus these maritime islanders happen to be some of the friendliest, and proudest folks around.

Wild Lupine
  My mom met me at the airport after one flight cancellation left me stranded for a few hours in Vancouver. A shiny new red VW bug was to be our mode of transportation to places like the Bay of Fundy, Brier Island, and Prince Edward Island. Being July the wildflowers were out in force, making everything even more scenic.

Digby Backpackers Inn
   Our base of operations for these first few days was a hostel in the coastal town of Digby called the Digby Backpackers Inn. The nearby streets were lined with Victorian homes and huge trees. And a short 5 minute stroll led down to the waterfront and wharf filled with seafood restaurants and lobster boats. I could never figure out why but a scent of maple syrup often rose up over this part of town. When I asked a waitress about it she couldn't tell us exactly where it was coming from, but she did say that maple syrup is good on everything. Welcome to Canada.


Digby Harbor
  The waterfront was a great place to see the effects of the biggest tides on earth. The harbors, docks, and ramps were all built with the flexibility that 40ft tides would inspire. I was unfortunately never around for a high tide picture of the harbor to show the difference but as we ate dinner we could see the tide coming in right before our eyes.

Point Prim Lighthouse, Digby
  Another quick jaunt from town was the Point Prim lighthouse. Bathed in the late evening light this lighthouse and surrounding area became a photographers delight. No filter needed at this beautiful spot. I can't wait to see what more Nova Scotia has to offer. Tomorrow we head out on the search for Atlantic Humpback Whales.

Point Prim Lighthouse and My Mom Overlooking the Bay of Fundy, Nova Scotia, Canada



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Secret Maui Waterfall

Search for Chameleons, Maui

Vermont Summer and Stave Island