Video: Underwater with Dolphins

This underwater adventure was one of the most magical underwater encounters I have had the opportunity to experience. In the past I have put up pictures from wild dolphins encounters around the Hawaiian Islands, but I've always wanted to capture the feeling on video. So this time I took my Canon 5d markII and drove out to a beach on the west coast called Electric Beach. I was pleased at the flat calm conditions of the ocean when I pulled up, and pleased even further when I saw the pod of dolphins! I had been skunked the last few times I had been here so I didn't waste any time in suiting up, grabbing my fins and mask, and practically running to the water.
  
   As I started swimming I realized that the dolphins were much further out than normal, but I was on a mission so I kicked hard. It didn't pay off. As I swam up to the four other snorkelers I saw the dolphins slowly cruising away from the group. I hoped that the pod would turn around and come back but I was a little afraid that they may have all woken up and were headed offshore to deeper hunting grounds.
  I waited. And waited. But to no avail. After bobbing up and down like a cork, straining to look for the dolphins for about ten minutes I slowly started to kick back in shore. Maybe I could still get some sea turtle pictures on the way in. But then I heard it. A high pitched squeak that could have only come from a dolphin. I turned around and there they were, heading back to where I had just been waiting. Even though I was about halfway back to shore at this point I turned around and swam back out into the deep blue. And this time it paid off, in a big way.

  Enjoy the video, listen for the squeaks, and see just how playful, intelligent, and nurturing these animals can be.

Comments

  1. just wonderful! How many do you think there were?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would guess around 30. Pretty magical. Couple of small babies as well!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Leaving a comment is a great way to provide feedback, ask further questions, and inspire more answers...so go for it.

Popular posts from this blog

Secret Maui Waterfall

Search for Chameleons, Maui

Vermont Summer and Stave Island