Natural Rock Bridge Hike

Koko Crater
Hanauma Bay
  With a last minute trip cancellation and a surprise day off I took to the unknown. I have been on a forbidden hike kick for the past week so I thought I would keep the momentum going by finding the off limits Hanauma crater rim hike. I also knew that there was a natural rock arch in the area but couldn't find great directions. I've had such good luck lately with finding secret waterfalls and hidden ruins that I thought my luck might hold.

The long path up

A rain squall moving in
  I knew to access the crater rim hike I should park in the neighborhood just west of the crater. After this I was on my own. I headed up the next road and started to climb up the hill next to a fenced off water tank. It didn't look like a trail but I was headed up which was the right direction. I scored some beautiful views of Koko crater with arid grasslands in front and a dark and storm sky behind. I typically hike in sandals so I had to pay special attention on this climb to avoid any cactus confrontation.

Hanauma Bay from the point
  After finding the paved trail on the crater rim I knew I had missed the trail up. There were families, young kids, and even people hiking with dogs. This must be the most unforbidden 'closed' hike I've ever been on. But the views down into Hanauma were beautiful as I continued to climb higher. The paved trail ends at an old military outpost. At this point I was feeling good and not too hot so I decided to keep going on what looked like a trail farther down towards the point. And who knows, maybe I would even stumble upon the mysterious natural rock bridge.

Erosional art
  After a lot of backtracking up and down little paths I arrived at a stunning rocky ravine. The rocks here have been carved out by erosion in fantastic designs. I managed to rock climb my way down into the ravine to snap a few pics. I didn't see the rock bridge anywhere so I climbed up and out the opposite side to continue my trek.
  The trail then led up and over the hills along the coast back towards Hanauma bay. I walked far down to the northern point of Hanauma to take some pictures. It was a new perspective on a place that has been photographed many times.

Found it!
  From here I could see it was possible to get down to the waters edge. I almost turned away to head back but something pulled me to climb down. That adventurous spirit paid off! As I got down to the bottom I could see the rock bridge! Every once in a while a large wave would splash up onto the arch from the ocean side and from underneath. I decided it was worth the chance for a picture after a father son hike team came down after they saw me. I made sure to time it and move fast but I made it out onto the arch to grab the picture and the proof. And I even stayed dry.

On the natural rock arch
For nearby hikes check out the Kaniakapupu Ruins and the Lanikai Pillbox Hike
Search Hawaii Hike for more hikes around Oahu.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Secret Maui Waterfall

Search for Chameleons, Maui

Vermont Summer and Stave Island