Molokini Rare Nudibranch Dive



 Maui has a plethora of shore diving opportunities which keeps me very busy, but whenever I get a chance to go out on a dive boat I jump at it. Today I went out with Maui Dreams and was happy to see both divemasters were my good friends, Josh and Jess. The sunset was beautiful on the drive to the harbor and an early morning sugar cane fire made the scene more breathtaking. It was a sign of things to come.
  Not burning to come, rather beautiful sights. As the frigate birds perched on Molokini watched over us we descended along the Enenue side of Molokini. A white tip reef shark awaited us about 100ft down on the sandy slope below the reef line but I was interested in smaller things today. Nudibranchs! And lucky enough for me I found a couple of really good ones. The blue dragon nudibranch is common to find on Molokini dives, but rarely seen anywhere else on Maui. The I came across a beautiful white nudibranch with a gold rim which I had never seen before...which is a big deal at this point in my Hawaiian nudibranch hunting. I had to go home and look it up and it turns out it is a rare Ardeadoris scottjohnsoni. 



In for a closeup with a really big yellow margin moray eel was the last photo I could snap before having to ascend up to the shallows for a safety stop. Even then the clarity of Molokini water makes for some great photos.
Sugar cane fire on Maui
Josh being a divemaster


The shallows of Molokini

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Secret Maui Waterfall

Search for Chameleons, Maui

Vermont Summer and Stave Island