Mahi Mahi: Underwater Photo

30 miles offshore of Maui where the ocean drops off to 10,000ft or more, any kind of debris drifting in the water can provide protection for juvenile pelagic fish. Today we came across a large green fishing net under which many different fish were hiding. Even though I feel a little bad about taking these fishes' makeshift home away these net can prove disastrous for marine mammals, sea turtles, and ocean going birds. So I turned around the research boat to grab the net and get a little ocean karma.

 That is when we saw it. Flashes of yellow streaking through the water. It was the bright yellow fins of mahi mahi, or dolphin fish. Until now I had only seen the silhouette of one jumping near a kelp raft off Catalina Island or on a dinner plate. Never before had I seen one under the water, much less had an opportunity to take its picture. I was very lucky as these three mahi mahi did not seem overly scared of me. They circle back a few times and I was able to snap this picture before they disappeared off into the blue. Another big one checked off the list.

--Dai Mar

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Secret Maui Waterfall

Search for Chameleons, Maui

Vermont Summer and Stave Island