Where I work

Every day I work as a naturalist on the Pacific Whale Foundation boats we begin the trip by heading out to a submerged volcanic tuft cone called Molokini. It is set in about 300ft of crystal clear offshore Hawaiian water. The inside of the half moon crater is well protected from waves and swell which makes it a great place to take snorkelers. On our more advanced Wild Side trip we get to sometimes take snorkelers to the edges of the crater, where the coral studded wall drops off farther than our eyes can see, even with 120ft visibility.
Today while checking on the drop off I see this white tip reef shark heading over the edge, towards the deep blue. I followed him into the swirling current off the dropoff for as long as I could until he finally disappeared into the blue. White tips are pretty harmless and are the most commonly seen sharks on our reefs here in Maui. I have only seen two other kinds of sharks although later in the trip I did see a mysterious 10+ft shark off the boat....that would not be a white tip.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Secret Maui Waterfall

Search for Chameleons, Maui

Vermont Summer and Stave Island