Memories of Baseball4Africa 2010




Coming back to Africa and being able to teach baseball to these rural kids has been a dream come true. I love traveling and experiences other cultures but doing this has allowed me to go beyond tourism and really connect with local people. We are constantly treated as honored guest and made to feel very welcome by everyone we meet. Africans are truly remarkable and hospitable people.
When I visited Africa 5 years ago I was shocked by alot of things. People burned down trees to make charcoal to sell for pennies on the side of the road, people tried to farm the most dry land I had ever seen, there were places where animals still ruled, and people lived for needs instead of wants. I always tell people that this continent is the place that has changed my world view, my perspective, and my priorities the most.
I have noticed improved roads, more cell phones, more traffic in the cities, but when we are out in the bush, teaching baseball or hanging in the villages, not much has changed at all. I really wish everyone had the time and desire to come and experience just a small part of Africa.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Secret Maui Waterfall

Search for Chameleons, Maui

Vermont Summer and Stave Island