Outfitting the Odyssey

     Well, I made it to Texas and to the Odyssey. Kirk met me at the tiny Corpus Christi airport and after a quick tour of Corpus and Port Aransas we headed to the marina to see my new home. The 35.5ft Hunter sailboat, aptly named Odyssey, that we are going to sail all the way to Borneo. But first a few things need to be done to get her ready for the big voyage.
     Some of the projects me and Kirk are tackling include ordering a new/backup 130% genoa, buying and mounting a fiberglass deckbox in which we can secure the scuba air compressor, fixing the autohelm (hopefully a new belt will do the trick), installing a manual freshwater pump on the sink to allow us to have access to drinking water if electics fail, ordering and setting up a track for a whisker pole, building a secure place for scuba tanks, and fixing the sail cover for the new mainsail. These, along with the somewhat overwhelming project of inventorying, cleaning, and restocking the boat and Kirk's storage locker will keep more than busy over the next three weeks.
      After being here for 3 days Kirk and I have hit is off on the right foot, which is good living in such close quarters (we both sleep on the boat here in Port Aransas), we have taken out the Odyssey sailing in the Intercoastal Waterway, testing her out while avoiding the massive tankers plowing out to the gulf. And we have gotten alot of our projects started, while gathering information and measurements for others. But there is still so much to do!
     The optimistic departure date is tentatively set at Feb 21st. I have my fingers crossed. Since I tend to be on the optimistic side I am going to start adding an "optimistic thought of the day" to my post. Because no matter what else is happening, I think you can find something good out of your day. Here goes the first.

Optimistic thought of the day:There may be a lot of projects staring us down, but when we got the Odyssey's sails up she sailed like a dream. You don't need much more motivation than that!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Secret Maui Waterfall

Search for Chameleons, Maui

Vermont Summer and Stave Island