Cliff Jumping off a Sea Cave

  Once every couple of weeks we take the Safari Explorer far south on the west coast of the Big Island to explore some of the rugged lava rock coastline accessible only by boat. We take the guests out on skiffs and kayaks to get a closer look at the coastline which is pocked with caves, arches, and other interesting lava rock features.

 This week brought much needed calm winds and small swells which opened up some new adventures. I had always eyed this one sea cave as a good potential for cliff jumping. The water was deep and clear in front of the cave opening and I had explored it inside and out by kayak in the past. I was leading the skiff tour this time so to spice things up I announced that I was going to give the folks a photo opportunity and dove off the front of the boat.

   Getting up onto the rocks was trickier than I thought as the swells picked up just as I made it to the rocks. But after a few aborted attempts and a few scrapes I scrambled up the rocks and climbed my way to the top of the cave. It was a little higher than it had looked from the boat, but I was in it now so no turning back. I yelled to the skiff to give me a countdown. All in unison they chanted "3...2...1...jump!"  It'll go down as one of the more entertaining skiff tours for all of us.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Secret Maui Waterfall

Search for Chameleons, Maui

Vermont Summer and Stave Island