Maui Manta Ray Encounter

Manta Ray in Flight
Underwater Wall Photos
A few days ago on a shore snorkel in south Maui I noticed a bloom of some kind of plankton and mentioned that I thought the possibility of seeing a manta ray might be higher. Then low and behold a few days later who should I run into along the outer reef at Makena but three manta rays!

  I've been hearing reports of frequent manta ray sightings by snorkelers in this area lately. Back when I ran trips here our manta encounters were few and very far between. So I was pretty shocked to see three good sized mantas circling back and forth over the north finger at Turtle Town. These coastal manta rays have a pretty small range here in the Hawaiian Islands, usually picking and sticking with one side of one island. Hopefully this means that more manta ray encounters will happen in the future!

   Since I was snorkeling I had the flexibility to dive up and down, next to and underneath the rays. This bouncing to different depths is difficult on scuba so for charismatic megafauna encounters this is who I like to shoot. I like the downward angle shot here to the left because it shows multiple mantas, however I'm always a big fan of trying to swim under than animal, let it pass over me, so I can shoot up and include with sunlight hitting the surface.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Secret Maui Waterfall

Search for Chameleons, Maui

Vermont Summer and Stave Island