Art in Transit: Chicago Airport Experience

  I spend a lot of time in airports since I travel quite a bit for my job. So I notice when airports go above and beyond to really break the monotony and anxiety of traveling. The best way I've seen this done is with an art installation at the Atlanta Airport that covers an entire terminal connecting corridor and transports the travelers into an airy forest world of nature. They do this by placing green overlapping cutouts on the ceiling that gives the impression you are looking up through the canopy of trees to sunlight above. Then every once in a while there is a break in the canopy where large screen have been built into the ceiling depicting a blue sky with wispy clouds and birds flying overhead. The sounds of the forest and birds especially complete the experience. I've actually seen people stop in their tracks and smile upon entering this space.

  Recently on my way from Vermont to Hawaii I had a quick layover in Chicago's big airport, ORD, and was pleased to see another colorful art installation between terminals. This was transporter the traveler into the aisle of a paint store with all of the color pallets for paint mixing, but on a grand scale. It worked wonders in breaking up the monotony so this was a huge success in my book. Hats of to the artist and the O'hare airport for going above and beyond. The name of the installation is "Sky's the limit", by artist Helmut Jahn and has been listed among America's 150 favorite structures.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Secret Maui Waterfall

Search for Chameleons, Maui

Vermont Summer and Stave Island