Making Fire with the Samburu People


Samburu
Ten years ago I was introduced to a tall, warrior looking member of the Samburu tribe. His name was Gabriel and lived in a small traditional village just outside of Samburu National Park. He graciously introduced us to his village, showing us how the traditional huts were constructed, what the thorny walls that surrounded the village were made of, and introduced us to other members of the community including the chief, the teachers, the kids, and the other men. Then he showed us something even more remarkable than the lion scratches on his chest, he showed us how to make fire.

Kim and the kids
The dynamic duo: Jim and Gabriel
 I still remember how thought provoking this visit was even though it was 10 years ago. As luck would have it we were headed back to Samburu National Park during this trip and when Jim made an effort to contact Gabriel he was there and welcomed us all back to the village. I could see how the years had aged Gabriel as he could probably see in me. I remembered the fire starter master who was still just as good as when he was featured on the opening credits of Survivor 2, and young John remembered me as well.

Never to young to baby-sit in Africa
One of my favorite ladies
 It can be so uplifting to see people with so little still so happy. It is a feeling that I always take away from Africa when I depart. It puts our lives back in the States into a whole new perspective and makes you think about what it takes to be truly happy. And above all, experiences like this remind me how lucky I am. I'm not worried about deadly skirmishes with other tribes over water, or cows being stolen, or a rogue lion coming in for a closer inspection.

Rebecca being inducted
We leave a little to help out the tribe, and end up buying some amazing hand made jewelry to bring of piece of this encounter home with us, but in the end it is these awakening feelings that really stay when we go back. It is fun to see this realization and change in the others who are experiencing it for the first time.

Coming back to this village with Gabriel feels like coming full circle in my African adventures. I've explored from Kenya to Cape Town twice, immersed myself into the local culture of football sized uagli meals and chainsawed goat, and rubbed shoulders with chiefs, marathoners, eagle flyers, and the King of Twitter. And so it was time to pass the torch to Jack to literally start fire.
Still got it: Creating Fire
Success!

Jack creating some heat...
Stoking the heat...
The expert (who I never did learn his name), gathered his materials and after about 30 seconds of rubbing two sticks together, and a minute of blowing and stoking the smoulder, created fire. Now that Jack had seen it could be done it was his turn and wouldn't you know that Jack is a natural survivor man. Add 'created fire' to your resume sir.

10 years ago, dancing with Gabriel and the Samburu
Pretty sure this guy has not changed in the past 10 years

Comments

  1. Haha. I laughed at the football sized ugali and chainsawed goat. How have the others enjoyed that?
    ~special

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Leaving a comment is a great way to provide feedback, ask further questions, and inspire more answers...so go for it.

Popular posts from this blog

Secret Maui Waterfall

Search for Chameleons, Maui

Vermont Summer and Stave Island