Summer Swell in Hawaii

   While the North Shore is flat calm and ripe for scuba diving, the South shoreline has all the waves for surfing. Waves churned up by winter storms thousands of miles away in the southern hemisphere make their way over the equator to land upon our shoreline here in Oahu.

  I have been pleasantly surprised by the size of the swells this summer. While the forecasts call for 2ft surf there are head high waves with windless, glassy conditions. It makes me realize just how blocked Maui's southern shoreline is by Koho'olawe island nearby. It would take a really big swell to make Maui's best waves start to open up. And forget surfing in the middle of the day or the afternoon. The wind would fill in and make conditions very tough.

  So I guess this means I better get these waves while I can. And while these swell was only a 2-3ft swell, I imagine at least one big one has yet to come. When it does I will be ready.

   Heidi has been behind the lens for a couple of these south shore surf sessions. We have one secret spot where the waves break very close to the shoreline which is great for pictures. Hopefully the new lens port for the GoPro ships quickly and I can get some in the water shots too!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Secret Maui Waterfall

Search for Chameleons, Maui

Vermont Summer and Stave Island