Sailing Adventure on the SSV Makani Olu: Part 3 of 3

Exploring the Coastline of Kauai

    My C watch had the first shift as we left the mooring at Lehua Rock for the big channel crossing over to Kauai. The winds were way down, but enough to fill our sails, but the waves were still high and coming from two different directions. We headed straight into the east swell but every time a north swell came through the boat lurched over. The north swells were hitting us right on our beam which created pretty rocky conditions. I actually had one wave hit the side of the boat and splash up into the wheelhouse where I was, until then, perfectly dry. After being relieved by Emma and her A watch I went down below to get some sleep, knowing I would be back on deck at 6am. The rocking was pretty intense down below in my bunk but I finally drifted off, wondering what sights I would wake to in the morning.

Cliffs and Watefalls on the Na Pali Coast
Sun and Mist: Na Pali Coast
  When I came on deck I found that we were hove to, so our sails were up but working against the rudder, to keep the ship in place. We were holding off the Na Pali coast, waiting for sunrise and the light which would tell us if we could make a beach landing here with the small boat. My watch really lucked out being awake and on deck as the sun rose over the beautiful cliffs. The early dawn revealed deep ravines, sea caves, waterfalls, and secret beaches. There was even a sea cave with a waterfall cascading off the top of it. The wind at this point was almost completely gone, but the swells still pounding against the cliff faces and the beaches. So we decided to motor sail around the island to the protected Hanalei Bay, where we would anchor over night.


Hanalei Sunset Colors
View from the Anchor
  With the captain and the first mate down below sleeping, I was in charge of the ship. We slowly motor sailed North following the beautiful coastline. After making it around the northwest tip of Kauai my C watch tacked the boat on a straight line into Hanalei Bay. We cruised into the Bay under full sail, past the famous surf break which was providing some incredible rides.
   Hanalei Bay is the largest bay on the north shore of Kauai. Nearly two miles of beach, a world famous surf break, and lush mountains are here to greet us. The revived student crew took the day ashore as I got some projects done on the ship. Captain Emma whipped up some home made ice cream and the crew looked ready for anything that the last big channel crossing could throw our way.
Surf's Up: View from Behind the Wave

Sunset under sail
Sunrise under sail
  It turned out that we didn't have to steel ourselves to much for the sail back. I thought we would be fighting a head on wind and swell, but instead we had no wind at all. The open ocean swells were high but spaced far apart so the Makani Olu gently rose and fell with the waves. I was almost hoping for some big winds to challenge the students on the way back but they certainly deserved a peaceful last two days.
 
Close to Home
A red footed booby stood watch on our bowsprit through the night and in the morning we came across an overturned rowboat with mahi mahi swimming underneath. My C watch had finally come together as a united force. No longer sea sick and with our home island ahead, C watch started running like a well oiled machine. I was very proud. By the time Oahu came into view I had already forgotten how beautiful my home island is. Huge cliffs and massive valleys line the east side of the island. We had motorsailed all the way from Kauai, but just as we made the turn past Chinaman's Hat into Kaneohe Bay the wind kicked up, so we turned off the engine and enjoyed the sound of sailing. We sailed all the way into our mooring which I thought was a very fitting end to a wonderful adventure.
Making the turn past Chinaman's Hat into Kaneohe Bay
Recognize this valley from Jurassic Park?



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Secret Maui Waterfall

Search for Chameleons, Maui

Vermont Summer and Stave Island