Creating Art Through Underwater Photography

Creating art through underwater photography

Inside the mouth of an eel
Christmas Tree Worms
Indian Nudibranch
 There are always new things to see while scuba diving, but I find that I will see much more when I have a camera in hand. Even when the visibility is bad I have found that taking macro photography can lead to some pretty amazing outcomes. Tiny Christmas tree worms can inspire movies like Avatar, eels peer out from cracks, nudibranchs hang tight to rocks in the shallows, and octopus walk the fine line between predator and prey. Shooting with a macro underwater lens can bring out fantastic colors and patterns that you may not be able to see with the naked eye.


Mysterious Eye of a Scorpionfish
Gloomy Nudibranch
This Octo stood up and posed for the camera

     Then there are days under the sea, even close to shore, when the visibility is unlimited. The blue water seems almost clear. That is when it's time to bring out the wide angle. You can work with a strobe and add artificial light or just go with the ambient light. There are many difficulties with underwater photography, but thanks to the digital era you can learn quickly. I still seem to learn something new on every dive. Having shot underwater in caves, shipwrecks, schools of sharks, at night, and out in blue water have given me a pool of knowledge about camera settings, lighting, and framing. Being versed in marine biology also gives me knowledge about my subjects, the underwater animals. Even with all this going for me, I still get very excited when a really good picture comes together. Getting to share these through this blog is a great feeling as well. Hope you enjoy.


Gold and Purple in a sea of sand


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Secret Maui Waterfall

Search for Chameleons, Maui

Vermont Summer and Stave Island