Great Barrier Reef Adventure Coming to an End

Myles the Diver

Rocking the Deep V-neck
  Our three day scuba diving adventure is coming to an end too soon. It has been unreal how much of the underwater reef we have been able to explore in such a short time. Eleven dives in three days. Myles finished his certification as an open water diver, we had close encounters with sharks, we were the object of curiosity of a huge humphead wrasse named Wiley, we found Nemo and Crush, and made some friends along the way. It has been a whirlwind of diving and eating and I am sure will stick out as one of the most memorable adventures on our trip. It is also one with long lasting effects.
Colorful Clam
the Deadly Lionfish
   Once you become a certified scuba diver you are certified for life. It never expires, giving you the opportunity for the rest of your life to don a scuba tank and swim with the fish. I became certified back in my college pool in Georgia, and have been on over 300 dives since then. After I did my open water dives in Caye Caulker, Belize I dove sporadically for years whenever I would travel to a scuba diving location. I told the boys it can totally change the way you travel. You have this new option that was never there before.
Eye of a Humphead wrasse
Wiley the Wrasse
  One trip really comes to mind. While I was living in Japan I took a quick trip over to Egypt to see the pyramids and sail on the Nile. Little did I know that Egypt also housed one of the worlds greatest scuba diving locations, the Red Sea. So after finding this out from other travelers I jumped on a 16 hour overnight bus to the coast and had the highlight of that trip. Another benefit of diving is it can be a great activity for couples. When Heidi and I went to a dive resort on tiny Lembeh Island, Indonesia we saw 70 and 80yr old couples still diving together. So I was very excited for Myles and Jack for experiencing this and excited for myself to finally dive in the biggest reef in the world.

That humphead wrasse is bigger than Myles



Close-up of a shark eye
Moray getting his teeth cleaned


Finding Nemo on our last dive!
Australia's most famous fish




Jack perfecting the art of underwater bubble rings

Comments

  1. Three days diving the Great Barrier Reef....another dream come true. So glad everything is working out so well!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Leaving a comment is a great way to provide feedback, ask further questions, and inspire more answers...so go for it.

Popular posts from this blog

Secret Maui Waterfall

Search for Chameleons, Maui

Vermont Summer and Stave Island