South Shore Maui Dive

On and isolated island way in the middle of the pacific some might feel a bit claustrophobic. My advice to those people is to look in the water. Once you realize how much there is to explore underwater your island suddenly feels expansive.
I dove along the South shore of Maui off a very popular beach today with sea turtles, moray eels, all kinds of reef fish and a few nudibranchs thrown in for good measure. The highlight was when I came across this snowflake moray eel out in the open swimming along. Whether he was looking for a new home or on the hunt I'm not sure. I stayed with him for over ten minutes. We came face to face several times and a goat fish swam over and swam right next to the eel for a while seeing if it would flush out any little fish.

 I took my time looking under ledges and in cracks and crevices for new nudibranchs. I managed to find some kangaroo nudibranchs and some phyllidias but nothing too out of the ordinary. A slipper lobster camouflaging in with the rock ceiling did almost escape my gaze but for the most part I just enjoyed spending this time in crystal clear water with all these different sea creatures. Swimming alongside the moray for so long is something I will remember for a long time.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Secret Maui Waterfall

Search for Chameleons, Maui

Vermont Summer and Stave Island