Molo Solo Shark Dive

I always tell people that snorkeling is your window to a whole new world, and scuba diving is your door... You can walk through it, immerse yourself, even allow the timid and wary sea creatures a chance to get acclimated to your presence. For an underwater photographer it opens all kinds of doors. Not to mention scuba allows you to go deeper, for longer. At a place like Molokini the freedom to explore deeper opens alot of options.
Today I headed out to Molokini by kayak, surrounded by smooth glassy water only broken by the ripples made by surfacing bottlenose dolphins. The crater itself (Molokini is a partially submerged volcanic crater/ pressure vent) was crowded with snorkel boats. Very few people ever venture out to the crater on their own because its about 3 1/2 miles offshore from he nearest point on Maui.

 Dropping down one of the edges of the crater I could see the bottom from 150ft away. As I quickly drifted lower and lower I spied spotted eagle rays flying out in the blue and even one above me, silhouetted by the sun. As I hit my deepest depth around 130ft I could see two grey reef sharks working the strong current even lower on the reef. Unfortunately they didn't get closer so this one far off picture was all I could capture. An encounter with a young white tip reef shark would prove much closer though as you can see here to the right.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Secret Maui Waterfall

Search for Chameleons, Maui

Vermont Summer and Stave Island