North Shore Snorkel

It has been unusually calm on the north shore of Maui lately. My surfboard has been sitting up in my house unused for weeks. So, if for nothing more than to spite the waves for not showing up, a couple friends and I headed into the heart of the big surfing spots for a little snorkeling. I've always wanted to see what exactly I have been surfing over and I was not disappointed.
Our spot was turtle bay, which is one bay past famous Ho'okipa and before Jaws. The entrance is a bit tricky with slippery rocks and little breaking waves but once in we were transported to a different world. Instead of coral and sand, it was boulders covered by all colors of algae. From bright red to iridescent blue-green. Moray eels slid between and under the rocks and fish like this scorpion fish above camouflaged in by staying perfectly still, waiting for a tasty morsel to swim by.
As we swam out deep the bottom turned into a honeycomb of deep channels, huge rock formations, and tunnels which connected thru the giant rocks. Tons of underwater arches and swim throughs appeared. We were treated with dozens of turtles feeding on the algae, lobsters, more sea cucumbers that I could count and tons of other herbivorous fish.

There is always something exciting about exploring a new place, especially when it takes a little work to get there and make it happen. And its exciting to think how many places here in Hawaii I still have yet to explore!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Secret Maui Waterfall

Search for Chameleons, Maui

Vermont Summer and Stave Island