Maiani School


Enthusiasm and smiles. The host of the baseball4africa tournament last year, Maiani Secondary School, came out swinging this year. With big hitters, a great first baseman, and an incredible performance from the catcher they have high hopes for this years tournament. When asked if they would like us to come back on the weekend for another practice they all jumped up saying yes.
A crisis was also averted on this afternoon. Jim was pitching with the ladies coach standing behind him calling balls and strikes. I grabbed a bat to try and show the guys how far you can really hit it. He threw a perfect strike in and I swung and hit it about as hard as I could, right off the sweet part. But instead of a high arcing homerun I hit a screaming line drive right back at Jim and the coach.
My heart stopped and I thought I had ended baseball4africa 2010 with one swing. It was heading straight for Jim's shoulder and if he moved it would hit the off guard coach in the head. Then, somehow, Jim caught the line drive with his glove. Everyone was silent for a second as they let out their breath. No one had time to blink. I was speechless. I still can't believe he caught it, but I am sure glad he's still got it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Secret Maui Waterfall

Search for Chameleons, Maui

Vermont Summer and Stave Island